The 6 Principles of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
1) Liking – If people like you they’re more likely to say yes
2) Reciprocity- People tend to return favors.
3) Social Proof – People will do things that they see others doing.
4) Consistency – People want to be consistent. If they make a voluntary, public commitment, they’ll follow through.
5) Authority – People defer to experts and to those is positions of authority.
6) Scarcity- People value things if they perceive them to be scarce.
And here’s a video with great examples on the Science of Persuasion that explains how these principles work –
(Video Source – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdCzN7RYbw)
Credits to the Science of Persuasion Team.
Dr. Robert Cialdini & Steve Martin are co-authors (together with Dr. Noah Goldstein) of the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Business Week International Bestseller Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to be Persuasive.